Taken on 9th April 2014 using a Canon EOS 7D. Taken in Dartmoor, Devon, UK.
Designed by Daniel Asher Alexander and constructed originally between 1806 and 1809 by local labour, to hold prisoners of the Napoleonic Wars, it was also used to hold American prisoners from the War of 1812. Although the war ended with the Treaty of Ghent in December 1814, many American prisoners of war still remained in Dartmoor.
Today it is a Category C men’s prison. Its high granite walls dominate this area of the moor.